[smokeping-users] Smokeping graphs from VMware slave is "choppy"

Bruce Mackey Bruce.Mackey at whalebacksystems.com
Wed Apr 30 15:36:19 CEST 2008

I'm running the latest code on both my Master and the Slave servers.

I suspect there is some time synching issue involved, but when I moved
my slave to a VMware image, I started getting choppy graphs.

I don't see any errors in the logs, nor any loss of connectivity that
the graphs are implying. I can ping continuously with no loss between
the slave/master and between the slave and the targets during the blank
periods on the graphs.  The logs show every 9-10 minutes the "Data Sent,
server said OK" message from the slave.  The Master is also slated to be
moved to a VMware image, but I'm holding off until I understand this
issue.  The extra "smoke" is also a concern as the continuous pings
don't show this variation in latency.

Has anyone else had anything similar?  Is there any additional data I
can gather and send that will assist in getting this resolved (rrdtool
dumps)?

-Bruce

Bruce Mackey

Network Architect