[smokeping-users] Smokeping graphs from VMware slave is "choppy"

Stefan Bethke stb at lassitu.de
Wed Apr 30 16:16:34 CEST 2008

Am 30.04.2008 um 16:06 schrieb Wolfgang Hennerbichler:

> On Apr 30, 2008, at 16:01 , Chris Wilson wrote:
>> Hi Bruce,
>>
>> On Wed, 30 Apr 2008, Bruce Mackey wrote:
>>
>>> I suspect there is some time synching issue involved, but when I
>>> moved
>>> my slave to a VMware image, I started getting choppy graphs.
>>
>> vmware time is all over the place. My advice would be "don't do
>> that".
>
> I guess the same thing goes for xen? I see similar results in my xen
> environment.

More or less, this is the same for all virtual machine environments. I
believe that VMware offers a stable time source, but I'm not sure
which kernel, if any, can make use of it.

If you wnat some form of virtualisation which does provide this kind
of timing stability, I've used FreeBSD jails quite successfully. I
also suspects that Solaris zones provide similar behaviour.

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke <stb at lassitu.de>   Fon +49 170 346 0140