[smokeping-users] FPing alternative

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Mon Aug 18 19:35:24 CEST 2008

Sorry about resurrecting an old dead thread, but I was wondering if
there had been any changes in the last few months since the last
posting, perhaps updates to the fping probe or the like? This
continues to be an issue for us, and I am not at all happy with the
work around I have in place (sending 4 pings with a 15 second interval).

To rehash: the problem we are running into is that when using fping
against certain devices, only one or two packets are returned,
regardless of device function and number of packets sent. Setting a
higher packet interval (such at the 15 seconds mentioned previously)
allows a limited number of additional packets to return, but is not a
workable solution. From previous discussions, it would appear that the
issue is with fping not updating the sequence number, but patching
that issue is beyond my skill level. Thanks!

Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician
Frontier Flying Service Inc.
5245 Airport Industrial Rd