[smokeping-users] how low can it go?

Cameron Davidson cam73 at aanet.com.au
Sat Feb 2 05:32:46 CET 2008

Hi Aaron,
Linux ping resolves to 1 microsecond, but the version of fping I am
using with smokeping rounds off to 10 microseconds.

As to accuracy and precision, I am sure each individual measurement is
quite accurate, but I would be wary about attaching too much meaning to
the absolute value - just look for changes.
As examples, 4 machines on a LAN (when everything is quiet):

median and approximate 5th and 95th percentiles.

Server 1: Server 2003: 160us (140-200)
Server 2: Server 2003: 300us (200-400)
Server 3:    SBS 2003: 300us (200-400)
Linux server: 330us (310-370)

All windows servers are similar spec with the same NIC. Server 2 is a
bit slower but 1 and 3 are virtually identical hardware.
Prompted by this strange variation, I checked settings and discovered it
was purely the driver versions.
Whether this will make a scrap of difference in real life - who knows?

Cameron.