[smokeping-users] Upgrade procedure?

Brian Talley briant at lpbroadband.net
Fri Feb 22 15:32:45 CET 2008

Thanks for the info.  I did read
http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/doc/smokeping_upgrade.en.html but this
page doesn't really contain a "how-to".  However, your statement,
"mostly thogu you basically replace the software and keep config and
data", was the nudge I needed to go ahead and do things manually.

For anyone else that has the same question and catches this thread,
here's some *very basic* guidelines for going from 2.2.7 to 2.3.1:

1. Backup your current installation
2. Overlay the new files over the old.  I just used `cp -avf'.
3. Drill into directories and use `diff' to check changes.  Update new
files as necessary - like perl path, rrdtool path, path to config, etc.
4. Check http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/doc/smokeping_upgrade.en.html
for things that might be less obvious.  In this case, see the note
regarding "basepage.html.dist" in the "2.2.x to 2.3.x" section.
5. Kill any running smokeping instances and restart

Worked for me.

Have fun,
BST