[smokeping-users] TCPPing probe doesn't generate data

Ralf Hildebrandt Ralf.Hildebrandt at charite.de
Tue Feb 26 19:27:19 CET 2008

* Ralf Hildebrandt <Ralf.Hildebrandt at charite.de>:

> -C   print in the same format as fping's -C option
>
> I found the bug. tcpping invokes tcptraceoute and the output format
> differs, depending on whether you use an IP or a HOSTNAME as argument.

#  /usr/local/scripts/tcpping -x 10 www.charite.de 80
seq 0: tcp response from www.charite.de (193.175.72.10) [open]  1.156 ms

#  /usr/local/scripts/tcpping -x 10 cbfrisdb1.charite.de 1521
seq 0: tcp response from 10.48.5.21 [open]  0.451 ms

Why does the second output not have the "hostname (ip)" form?
Oh, it relies on tcptraceroute, and that has this behaviour

-n Display numeric output, rather than doing a reverse DNS lookup for
   each hop.  By default, reverse lookups are never attempted on RFC1918
   address space, regardless of the -n flag.

10.48.5.21 is in RFC1918 space.
AAAARGH. I'll have to rewrite tcpping to use -n always...

--
Ralf Hildebrandt (i.A. des IT-Zentrums)         Ralf.Hildebrandt at charite.de
Charite - Universitätsmedizin Berlin            Tel.  +49 (0)30-450 570-155