[smokeping-users] I cant get ping to work with big packets

Jon Bendtsen jbendtsen at laerdal.dk
Thu Jul 24 13:50:23 CEST 2008

On 24/07/2008, at 13.04, G.W. Haywood wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> On Thu, 24 Jul 2008, Jon Bendtsen wrote:
>
>> i use 2.0.9-2 on debian stable
>
> Ouch.  I recommend that you upgrade to the latest version of Smokeping
> available to you.  I'm using 2.3.6 on Debian stable, but I imagine
> there's a more recent version which you could grab.  Be awar that the
> configuration files were changed so that there are separates file for
> probes, targets etc in a smokeping/config.d/ directory so you will
> need to do some editing.

I tried upgrading to 2.3.6-2 from testing.

Probes section

*** Probes ***

+ FPing
binary = /usr/bin/fping

++ Ping1024
binary = /usr/bin/fping
packetsize = 1024

++ Ping2048
binary = /usr/bin/fping
packetsize = 2048

++ Ping4096
binary = /usr/bin/fping
packetsize = 4096

++ Ping8192
binary = /usr/bin/fping
packetsize = 8192

++ Ping16384
binary = /usr/bin/fping
packetsize = 16384

++ Ping32768
binary = /usr/bin/fping
packetsize = 32768

+SSH

ERROR: /etc/smokeping/config.d/Targets, line 3: probe FPing missing
from the Probes section

But no, it is not missing