[smokeping-users] Smoke cut-off problem back in 2.4.0?

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Thu Jun 12 11:13:34 CEST 2008

Hi Ged,

> One thing which concerns me a little is the treatment of data samples
> by RRDtool.  As I have noted in other threads the 'collapsing' of the
> samples in order to give a fixed database size seems to me to result
> in a tendency to mask details, and even in some cases to give a false
> impression.  I'm not convinced that this is a good way to manipulate
> the kinds of information with which we are dealing, and I would much
> prefer that the data storage techniques and the data manipulation were
> decoupled so that an investigation which is triggered by some sudden
> revelation (such as a penny dropping) is not be hindered by the tools
> themselves.

you can configure rrdtool to keep hiresolution data for arbitrary
time. The consolidation is just a way to keep more data with less
space. If you have the space, configure the hires RRAs to be longer
(still have the low res rras around for long term graphs).
Performance will not be impacted in any way by this change.

http://it.oetiker.ch tobi at oetiker.ch ++41 62 213 9902