[smokeping-users] Smokeping/FPing scalability guidelines?

Allan Eising allan.eising at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 10:01:54 CEST 2008

Hey there,

I'm currently running smokeping and I'm running it through a custom
system I've build. There is only one server, but it's fairly strong.
This system maintains the nodes through a database, writing the
configuration file and randomizing these nodes over 20 FPing processes
to distribute the load. At the moment of writing, there are 1997 nodes
to be monitored. I can see from my syslog that the FPing processes
take too long to do their polling, so it would be natural for me to
increase this number of probers to eg. 30. However, I would like to
know if somebody has any guidelines for a recommended number of hosts
per FPing process, so I might be able to write this into my system, to
maintain scalability.

--
Best regards

Allan Eising