[smokeping-users] forking smokeping

Niko Tyni ntyni+smokeping-users at mappi.helsinki.fi
Thu Mar 20 15:30:13 CET 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 02:51:52PM +0100, alex.beber at guest.arnes.si wrote:

> I guess I wasn't clear.
> I have one instance of fping, pinging every 300 seconds sending 100
> pings of size 1300 bytes.
>
> Now the hosts increased so much, that smokeping can't complete one
> round of pingin in 300 seconds and the graphs look messed up.
>
> What should I do? It would be great if smokeping would detect this and
> divide the section in two or more independent fpings proccess to
> complete the task.
>
> I can create two sections with the same fping probe...but this more a
> hack tha a solution. When i get too much host again i have to create
> another section and so on...

I think I understood you quite right the first time. The solution (or
hack, if you prefer to call it that) I offered is indeed a manual one;
Smokeping can not currently do this automatically.

Just so we're talking about the same thing: your configuration would
look something like this

*** Probes ***
+ FPing
binary=/usr/sbin/fping
++ FPing1
++ FPing2
offset = 50% # optional

*** Targets ***
probe = FPing1

+ branch1
[...]
+ branch2
probe = FPing2
[...]

If there's not a suitable branch point to split the targets, I suppose
cooking up a script to generate the target section is the next choice...

(Cc'ing the list again, let's keep this there please)

Cheers,
--
Niko