[smokeping-users] Fping Probe Target Variables

Ben Ragg bragg at internode.com.au
Tue Mar 25 04:26:36 CET 2008

Hi All,

We've got to a stage where the normal TelnetIOS just isn't working on
our setup. We have a number of routers on our network, and graph the
pings from each router to a number of other routers on our network.
We're now hitting the point where TelnetIOS is forking off one process
per ping and chewing up all the vty's on that particular router.

I would like to rewrite TelnetIOS to be able to handle multiple pings in
one telnet session in a similar way to FPing/RemoteFPing. However I'm
currently stuck on one small point. How do I access the individual
target variables? "sub ping" is only called with one arguement, rather
than two in the case of "sub pingone" and while the entire config is
available with $self there doesn't seem to be a clean way of accessing
the target variables for each target when using the Fping module.
(Wondering if this wasn't thought of with FPing, since it's only
possible to set variables affecting all hosts that are being pinged, but
then surely this must be fixed with RemoteFPing to allow pings from
multiple hosts?)

Thank you in anticipation.

Regards,
Ben