[smokeping-users] nomasterpoll blocks results from slaves

David Behr david at zol.co.zw
Thu Mar 27 00:33:38 CET 2008

Hi

A curious problem.  I have some probes that are set to only run on slaves.
E.g. myProbe might be set to run on slave1 and slave2.  I used
nomasterpoll=yes on the master to block the master from trying to run the
probe.

All appears to work fine.  The slaves get the config, they run the probes,
they generate results and upload to the master.  The data sits in the
smokeping directory in the slave_cache files.  BUT the master process
ignores the data - i.e. it just sits in the slave_cache file and keeps
growing.

As soon as I remove "nomasterpoll" the master reads all the cache data into
the rrd files.

The work around is to define a "dummy" target on the master with
host=127.0.0.1 and hide=yes.  This guarantees the master will always have at
least one target of each probe and it is hidden on the menu.  This solves
it.

Is there a better way to make this work?  I have a feeling the problem is if
the probe is "skipped" on the master,  then that "probe process" never gets
to read in the slave data.    Is this by design?

Thanks

David