[smokeping-users] Smokeping 2.3.4 released

Niko Tyni ntyni+smokeping-users at mappi.helsinki.fi
Mon Mar 31 22:15:41 CEST 2008

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 02:16:28PM +0200, Niko Tyni wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 10:23:33AM -0000, Cherrington Stuart wrote:
>
> > Packages.debian.org says yourself and Jose Sogo are the maintainers, do
> > you know when you will have time to push the 2.3.4 into testing or
> > Volatile?
>
> I'll certainly upload 2.3.4 to unstable this weekend if not tonight,
> and it should enter testing after the normal 10 day delay if no release
> critical bugs are reported before that.

It's not quite the weekend anymore, but the Debian packaging needed more
changes than I expected.

I just uploaded 2.3.5-1 to the experimental distribution, which means that
I'd like some test reports before getting it on the Lenny release train.
It should be downloadable starting at

 http://packages.debian.org/smokeping

when the upload has been processed and the mirrors have been updated,
hopefully by tomorrow.

Although this is meant to be installed on a current Debian unstable
system, the .deb should work on Etch (and probably Ubuntu too). It
might be a good idea to install apt-listchanges and read through the
NEWS.Debian entry it presents before installing.

Note that there are changes to the configuration side (introducing an
/etc/smokeping/config.d/ directory) and to the storage side (the CGI
can now only write to /var/lib/smokeping/__cgi). Downgrading is not
supported, so make sure to back up /etc/smokeping and /var/lib/smokeping
first if you try this.

Feedback would be most welcome, either on this list or as a Debian bug
report. In the latter case, make sure to mention if you're not on Debian
unstable and be prepared for me closing the bug if it doesn't apply
to that.

Cheers,
--
Niko