[smokeping-users] FPing alternative

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Fri May 16 18:04:46 CEST 2008

On Apr 17, 2008, at 11:21 AM, Ben Ragg wrote:

> FPing by default has a timeout of 500ms, most other versions of Ping
> will
> time out after 1000ms or 2000ms. This is probably why you're seeing
> the
> difference
>
> I believe you want something like fping -t 2000 (but check the man
> page)
> and see how you go

Yes, that is the correct syntax for what you are suggesting, and yes,
I have tried that. Doesn't make a difference. From what I can tell,
that only applies to the last one (or maybe two, depending on timing)
pings anyway, since as long as FPing gets a response to a ping while
it is still running, it will accept it, even if it took two minutes to
come back. The timeout value basically just says how long it should
wait after sending the last ping before it gives up and stops
listening for returns.

Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician
Frontier Flying Service Inc.