[smokeping-users] Can't find lib.pm in @INC

G.W. Haywood ged at jubileegroup.co.uk
Mon Nov 24 20:15:33 CET 2008

Hi Eric,

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008, Eric Chatham wrote:

> After looking at the perl version of the server it was not the same
> listed in the error.  Here is my perl -V.  I'm confused too, since
> it looks like the list you provided.  I'm using RHEL 5.1 (CentOS).
> [root at hppav ~]# perl -V
> Summary of my perl5 (revision 5 version 8 subversion 8) configuration:

It seems that you have more than one version of Perl on your machine.
That's OK, we just have to tell Smokeping to use the right one.

Humour me for a moment.  What happens if you type these commands?

/usr/bin/perl -V
/usr/local/bin/perl -V

I suspect that the results will be from the two different versions
of Perl.  As I said, you can have more than one version of Perl on
a system - you can have more than one version of most things.  The
main reason you might want to do that is if some utility, tool, or
whatever on your system was unable to run with the more recent of
the versions but you needed that tool so you had to keep the older
version around just for that.  It happens quite often.  Another
good reason for keeping an older version around is if you've just
upgraded to a new super-duper-whizz-bang version of something and
you somehow don't quite trust it yet.  But I'm rambling.

One way to tell the Oerating System (OS) which version of whatever
you want it to choose is to use the PATH environment variable.  So
you type

perl

and the first version of the interpreter that's found on your PATH
is the one that runs.  Another way, when you're running a script,
is to use the 'shebang' line in the script.  That's the first line
in the script, it often looks like this:

#!/usr/bin/perl

If your smokeping Perl script has that line and your Perl version in
/usr/bin is 5.005_03 then that's what will run that script.  If you
want a different version of Per to run it, then all you have to do is
change the shebang line.

Have a nose around and see what you find.

--

73,
Ged.