[smokeping-users] Smokeping graphs randomly stop generating

Westlake, Simon simon.westlake at twcable.com
Mon Sep 8 15:23:15 CEST 2008

Hi Tobi,

I was using Fping and Hping - in an effort to troubleshoot this, I
removed all the devices being monitored by Hping from the config file
and it does appear to have kept the graphs generating for a much longer
period of time. I was using the following probe -
http://lists.ee.ethz.ch/p/HPing.pm - and while it didn't seem to be
generating any errors, I hazard a guess at this time that it was the
soruce of the problem.

Hasn't been long enough to be conclusive yet, but I've gone from
restarting Smokeping once or twice a day to having it running over the
entire weekend without any issues. I was using this probe in the
previous version of Smokeping without any issues, but perhaps there is
some issue with it in the newer version I'm using.

I'll keep an eye on the servers I have running for the next few days and
ensure it was the cause of the issue - if not, I will run strace as
suggested and forward the details to the list.

--
Simon Westlake
Time Warner Cable Business Class

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner
Cable proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential,
or subject to copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail
is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which
it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this
E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents
of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify
the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any
copy of this E-mail and any printout.