[smokeping-users] Holes in graphs

Peter Kristolaitis alter3d at alter3d.ca
Wed Apr 22 19:37:26 CEST 2009

What you would do is create additional FPing probes:

*** Probes ***

+ FPing
 binary = /usr/sbin/fping

++ FPing1
++ FPing2
++ FPing3

(optional:  use offset=0%, 10%, 20%, etc, for each probe)

Then use those 'sub'-probes on some of your targets. It's  easiest to do
it by host subtrees so that you're not managing each host
individually... in your case I see you've already split it up by letter
(e.g. SIP-A-E), so those might be good candidates.   Simply override the
'probe' setting for the host group:

*** Targets ***

slaves=nycvpn001 laxvpn001
probe = FPing

+ SIP_Trunking
menu = SIP Trunking
title = SIP Trunking Customers

++ SIP-A-E
menu = Customers A-E
title = Customers A-E
probe = FPing1              # This group will use probe #1

@include include/sip-ae.cfg

++ SIP-F-L
menu = Customers F-L
title = Customers F-L
probe = FPing2              # This group will use probe #2

@include include/sip-fl.cfg

++ SIP-M-R
menu = Customers M-R
title = Customers M-R
probe = FPing3               # This group will use probe #3

@include include/sip-mr.cfg

Each probe runs as a separate process on the operating system, which
means that you're pinging more hosts in parallel.  This has the effect
of consuming a bit more CPU and more instantaneous bandwidth, but gets
the round of probing done faster.

- Peter