[smokeping-users] Strange Statistics Problems on Debian

G.W. Haywood ged at jubileegroup.co.uk
Tue Aug 25 18:26:12 CEST 2009

Hi there,

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009, Daniele Davolio wrote:

> I know it's weird...but on 13 August (2009) all the smokeping statistics
> on my servers where just erased. All servers on this very same day.
> I can't figure out how. I have Smokeping 2.0.9-2 on a bunch of old
> Debian servers, is there a possibility that some Smokeping did it ... ?

It's very unlikely that Smokeping trashed the data for no reason.
This sounds like it could be some kind of a configuration change.
Perhaps you've somehow made a new set of empty data files in a
different place from the originals.  In that case I'd expect the
originals still to be kicking around in the filesystem somewhere.

What makes you sure that the data has been erased?  Do you have any
backups?  If so, can you recover them and see the statistics you were
expecting to see?  Did you upgrade anything?  Are you using the same
browser instance to look at the graphs that you always used to use?
The same URLs?  Have you checked the logs to see if there's been any
obvious change there?  If you don't log verbosely, now might be a good
time to consider it. :)

I'd want to know where the Smokeping data store is in the filesystem.
I'd look at the raw files with RRDtool, use it to draw a few graphs
and find out if what's in there is what I think should be there.  If
not, I'd look for other places in the filesystem where the data might
be.  Having said that, if you don't have records of what's supposed to
be where, the investigation is likely to be short and inconclusive.

--

73,
Ged.