[smokeping-users] Using Smokeping to monitor large layer 1/2 networks (e.g. large WiFi mesh networks)

Russell Dwarshuis rjd at merit.edu
Wed Dec 30 01:19:01 CET 2009

In addition to master/slave, smokeping can use some types of network nodes
to graph results.  See IOSPing, TelnetIOSPing, CiscoRTTMonEchoICMP,
TelnetJunOSPing at http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/probe/index.en.html

Smokeping has no knowledge of how packets are switched or routed so you
would need to carefully craft your config file to show meaningful tests.
If you have a giant layer 2 network you may not be able to devise tests
across individual links since they're layer 3 tests but perhaps
collections of links may still be useful if the layer 2 path(s) the
packets are switched across is understood by the people looking at the
graphs.

Modern wireless backhaul links have vendor MIBs with RSSI, signal quality,
link rates, etc.  If they are available to you then you should monitor
them directly instead of looking for symptoms (which could be caused by
many different things) higher up the OSI stack.

                                           -Russell Dwarshuis