[smokeping-users] SmokeTrace troubles

G.W. Haywood ged at jubileegroup.co.uk
Fri Feb 6 16:18:47 CET 2009

Hi there,

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Ryan LeBlanc wrote:

> [Thu Feb 05 15:49:35 2009] [error] [client X.X.X.X] (2)No such file or
> directory: exec of '/var/www/localhost/htdocs/smokeping/tr.cgi' failed
> That message is, unfortunately, extremely vague.

On the contrary, I think it's very precise.

> What file or directory is it trying to locate?

/var/www/localhost/htdocs/smokeping/tr.cgi

Because I don't know enough about your system, I'm guessing at some
of this...

Under normal circumstances, as a security precaution, Apache won't
execute a .cgi file (nor any other executable file) if it's located
under the 'document root'.  The document root in your system seems to
be /var/www/localhost/htdocs/ but (a) tr.cgi doesn't seem to be there
and (b) Apache probably wouldn't execute it, even if it were there.
Of course it's possible to tell Apache not to apply this restriction.
Don't do that.

I think you probably need to put tr.cgi in your smokeping cgi-bin
directory, wherever that is.  Then you should browse to

http://localhost/smokeping/tr.cgi

There are any number of other ways to set this up, you need to read a
little about Apache configuration which is a subject all of its own.

--

73,
Ged.