[smokeping-users] Upgrading smoke pin to version 2.4.0

Mersberger, Robert robert.mersberger at goldenliving.com
Fri Feb 6 22:46:36 CET 2009

I am new with Unix and have recently been given the responsibility for these Unix applications.  I would like to upgrade Smokeping fro version 2.0.9 to 2.4.0 and would like to find a good document that would explain how this can be done in a fool proof manner.
Is there an RPM out there that does this?

I also need to know what the Hardware requirements are if I am polling 1600 devices every 120 seconds with 10 ping per site for each cycle.
  I am currently seeing the warning for Smokeping taking longer that 120 seconds and this happens 1 or twice per day.

Will I have to also update all the supporting products before I do the upgrade to 2.4.0  what I mean is things like Perl or rrdtools Linux
here is my current description: Linux smokeping2 2.6.11.4-21.15-bigsmp #1 SMP Tue Nov 28 13:39:58 UTC 2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

I would appreciate all the help I can get on this question as I need to get equipment and other items ordered so I can start whatever process I will be doing.

Thanks in advance.

Robert Mersberger
LAN Consultant, Information Technology
Phone 479-201-3442
Fax 479-478-3837
Email robert.mersberger at goldenliving.com
www.Goldenliving.com
Golden Living
1000 Fianna Way
Fort Smith, AR 72919

CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE:
This e-mail message and any attachment(s) (collectively, this 'Email') are intended
only for the confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient named above or an agent responsible for
delivering it to the intended recipient named above, you have received this Email in error.
Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete this Email and any copies thereof.