[smokeping-users] master/slave error

Chris Krough chris at krough.org
Thu Jan 8 01:09:07 CET 2009

The cache/, data/, and dyndir/ directories in your web tree will also
need to be writable by those two processes. Verify that the folders
specified in your etc/config file exist and have the correct
permissions for the following:

imgcache =
datadir =
dyndir =

Chris

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 4:46 PM, Seth Lyons <slyons at fxcm.com> wrote:
> So...the files are stored in /usr/local/var/smokeping.  The owner:group are
> smokeping:smokeping, and the users www and smokeping are members of the
> smokeping group.  They have read permissions from /usr down through /var,
> and are set to 775 from /usr/local/var/smokeping down the rest of the tree.

>> I changed the settings to 10 pings every 120 seconds, but still the same
>> result.  I noticed though, that while the last modified times of the RRDs
>> are being updated, the sizes of the files are remaining the same.
>
> The RRD file sizes won't change - they are sized on creation - RRD is
> designed to work this way. Check the timestamps of the files to see if they
> are being written to.
>
> Your problem definitely sounds like a file permission/ownership one. I'd
> double check all the files in all the paths to the data files on your
> system.
>
> Good luck.
>

> --
> Neil Francis
> Systems Administrator
> University of Bath
> +44 1225 383571

Chris Krough

"Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know
where we can find information on it." --  Samuel Johnson