[smokeping-users] Can't exec traceroute

G.W. Haywood ged at jubileegroup.co.uk
Mon Jan 12 09:53:24 CET 2009

Hi there,

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009, Phill Channon wrote:

> I have a working install of smokeping and just trying to set up smoke
> trace, and get an error:
>
> Can't exec "traceroute: No such file or directory at
> /usr/local/www/data/smokeping/lib/Qooxdoo/Services/Tr.pm line 34.
>
> I haven't modified Tr.pm at all and line 34 says:
>
>          system "traceroute","-I","-q","1",$host;
>
> Does anyone have any ideas what this could be?

The message appears to be telling you what the problem is.  Either you
haven't got a working traceroute on your system, in whihc case you
need to install it, or you need to tell Smokeping where it is.  For
example you might need to enter a full path in line 34 of the Tr.pm
script.  Just as an example, if your traceroute binary is located at

/full/path/to/traceroute

then you could change line 34 to

system "/full/path/to/traceroute","-I","-q","1",$host;

There might be better ways of doing it mentioned in the documentation.
In general making ad-hoc changes to scripts like this is a maintenance
nightmare later on.  For example when you upgrade the package it's not
likely that your changes will be preserved, and you won't have made any
notes about what you did, when you did it, and why...  The proper ways
of telling Perl the locations of the tools it needs have been designed
to avoid maintenance problems like this.

--

73,
Ged.