[smokeping-users] Troubles getting slave activated

Will Lawton wlawton at facebook.com
Fri Jan 23 00:25:25 CET 2009

I'm trying to setup some webhosts to act as slaves with a master server. Webservers are generally cookie cutter stamp outs so I would like to install as little as possible. From reading the documentation, the slave should require nothing more than the binary and the shared secret file.

I've grabbed the tarball from http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/pub/ and unpacked it. I've placed the secret into R/O file in /var/smokeping/<file>.txt. I've then tried to run /usr/share/smokeping/bin/smokeping -master-url=<master_url> --cachedir-/var/smokeping -shared-secret=/var/smokeping/<file>.txt

I then get greeted with lots of spam about smokeping not being able to find RRDs.pm. I found another thread in the archive mentioning that running slave mode does not require rrdtool, and if I can avoid installing it, I very much will do so.

I've tried commenting out "uneeded" things in both the smokeping executable as well as ~/lib/Smokeping.pm and not had any luck so far.

Can anyone please offer up some assistance on how to get this working?

Thanks in advance,

-Will