[smokeping-users] TelnetIOSPing and IOSPing

G.W. Haywood ged at jubileegroup.co.uk
Thu Jul 2 12:20:42 CEST 2009

Hi there,

On Thu, 2 Jul 2009 andrea.polesel at bt.com wrote:

> I'm trying to use the TelnetIOSPing and IOSPing functionalities to get
> remote_router_1 to ping host_1 (10.10.0.2).
> I've setup the probes as indicated on the website, but they don't seem
> to work. FPing works fine.
> [snip debug output]

I haven't used those features, but I have had trouble with changes in
the user interface which Smokeping uses to talk to binaries such as
fping, where Smokeping called the binary with switches that the binary
didn't recognize.  This depends both on the version of Smokeping, and
the version of the binaries it uses.  The binaries that Smokeping uses
don't all seem to be as stable as one might like (and Smokeping seems
a little fragile in this regard) but if you have the latest versions
of Smokeping and the relevant binaries you might have more luck. :)

Having said that I haven't investigated, and I'm not sure that your log
points to this kind of problem.  I'd suggest adding a little more output
to the logs by modifying the Perl scripts which write them, to make the
cause clearer.

--

73,
Ged.