[smokeping-users] Master/Slave configuration trouble

Eric Chatham echatham at broadvox.com
Wed Jun 10 19:30:51 CEST 2009

On Wednesday, June 10, 2009 13:22, Nathan Long wrote,

> The command and error you posted doesn't match up.  I'm not sure if it's a typo or not.  The command lists a secrets.txt while the error shows
> secrets.conf.  Anyways.  The slaves do not read the master's config file, and the slaves do not have a config of their own.  When contact is
> made, the master will send the slave it's config.

If I'm understanding this right the "--shared-secret" switch is the "answer" file for /opt/smokeping/etc/secrets.conf file on the master server.  Is that correct?  Locally, I have secrets.txt with the "answer" that is on the master server.

SECRET.TXT
--shared-secret=/opt/smokeping/secret.txt for laxvpn001

<password1>

SECRETS.CONF
/opt/smokeping/etc/secrets.conf

host1:<password1>
host2:<password1>
nycvpn001:<password1>
laxvpn001:<password1>

<password1> is the same all around.

CONFIDENTIAL.  This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and should be destroyed and/or returned if you are not the intended and proper recipient.