[smokeping-users] Master/Slave configuration trouble

Eric Chatham echatham at broadvox.com
Wed Jun 10 19:49:39 CEST 2009

On Wednesday, June 10, 2009 13:37, Nathan Long wrote,

> The secret file you reference when you run smokeping on the slave should be pointing to a local file containing the same "secret" that the
> secret file on the server has listed for this slave.  This secret.txt file should only contain the password.

I thought that's what I was doing.  See previous e-mail.  The local file (on slave) is secret.txt.  The secrets.conf file is on the master server.

>> If I'm understanding this right the "--shared-secret" switch is the "answer" file for /opt/smokeping/etc/secrets.conf file on the master
>> server.  Is that correct?  Locally, I have secrets.txt with the "answer" that is on the master server.
>>
>> SECRET.TXT
>> --shared-secret=/opt/smokeping/secret.txt for laxvpn001
>>
>> <password1>
>>
>> SECRETS.CONF
>> /opt/smokeping/etc/secrets.conf
>> host1:<password1>
>> host2:<password1>
>> nycvpn001:<password1>
>> laxvpn001:<password1>
>>
>> <password1> is the same all around.

CONFIDENTIAL.  This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and should be destroyed and/or returned if you are not the intended and proper recipient.