[smokeping-users] Question about upgrading from 2.2.7 to 2.4.2

Eric Chatham echatham at broadvox.com
Thu Jun 11 20:36:18 CEST 2009

On Thursday, June 11, 2009 13:31, Ged wrote,

> I trust you're making notes of all the things you're doing? :) Yes, if
> they're not in the places that are listed.  (Actually it's a script,
> not a binary.  You wouldn't want to change anything in a binary with a
> text editor, but apart from that one of the neat things about the Unix
> style is that the two kinds of program are pretty much interchangeable.)

I write all my changes (especially if I new to something) in a notepad.

> mail4:/home/ged/src/net/smokeping/bin# >>> diff smokeping smokeping.dist
> 1c1
> < #!/usr/bin/perl -w
> ---
> > #!/usr/sepp/bin/perl-5.8.4 -w
> 4,7c4
> < # 2008.04.24: Corrected -- GWH --
> < use lib qw(/usr/local/rrdtool/lib/perl);
> < # 2008.04.24: Added -- GWH --
> < use lib qw(/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/lib);
> ---
> > use lib qw(/usr/pack/rrdtool-1.2.23-mo/lib/perl);
> If you aren't used to 'diff' output then better do some more reading!
> It's an extremely useful tool.

I'm not sure what this is.  I just figured out how to use 'screen.'

>> [root at laxvpn001 smokeping]# /home/smokeping/alt/smokeping/bin/smokeping...
>> Sent data to Server and got new config in response.
>
> That's good!
>
>> Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at
>> /home/smokeping/alt/smokeping/lib/Smokeping/probes/FPing.pm line 67.
>
> That looks like you haven't told your slaves where the fping binary is.
> That might be a little wrinkle: if the fping binar(ies) on your slaves
> aren't in the same location as the one on your master, you might need
> to do something sneaky like create a symlink with the same path as on
> the master so that the slaves can find it:

The symlinks worked.  I'm seeing the data on the master URL.  I really appreciate your help.  Thank you.  I'm still learning a lot.

ln -s /usr/sbin/fping /usr/local/sbin/fping

CONFIDENTIAL.  This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and should be destroyed and/or returned if you are not the intended and proper recipient.