[smokeping-users] DNS probe failing for one host

Lars Hecking lhecking at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Mar 4 14:05:35 CET 2009

 (G.W., I just spotted your reply in the list archive, it seems I didn't
  receive it by email).

G.W. Haywood writes:
> Wild guess: Are the probes using TCP and manual dig using UDP?
>
> Have you checked all the systems' logs to see if there's anything, er,
> interesting about the time this started happening?

 This is the probe definition:

+ DNS

binary = /usr/bin/dig
lookup = www.yahoo.com
pings = 5
step = 180

 As far as I can tell by looking at the code, smokeping simply runs
 /usr/bin/dig @server lookuphost, which should simply issue a UDP probe.

 Hhm. It looks like the remote server cannot resolve Internet queries.
 WTH have our NOC been up to? Need to investigate ...