[smokeping-users] TCPping question

G.W. Haywood ged at jubileegroup.co.uk
Sat Mar 28 11:59:19 CET 2009

Hi there,

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009, Seth Lyons wrote:

> I recently started having a problem with the TCPping probe where the
> values are being graphed as second instead of milliseconds.  The
> actual numbers graphed are correct, they are just mislabeled.

I guess you changed something.  Upgraded?  Using speedycgi now?

> Has anyone else encountered this/know how to fix this?

It's known that the various versions of some of the utilities on which
Smokeping calls to do its taks differ in their implementations.  One
interesting way in which they differ is the way you describe.  If you
read the documentation and the scripts themselves you'll see mention
of the issue.  Smokeping does actually try to deal with it itself but
there are cases where it doesn't get the information it needs or else
it just gets it wrong.

You might need to look somewhere like

/usr/share/perl5/smokeping/Smokeping/probes/TCPPing.pm

for the word 'milliseconds'.

The part of the path I've underlined may well be different on your
system, that's just where it happens to be on my Smokeping master.

--

73,
Ged.