[smokeping-users] apache alias setup?

Gregory Guthrie guthrie at mum.edu
Sun May 17 19:05:32 CEST 2009

Sorry for what must be a FAQ - but Google couldn't find any solutions?  J

I have smokeping installed on Debian and Ubuntu - and the files are kept in
a few locations -

   /var/lib/cgi-bin/smokeping.cgi  (startup)

  /var/www/smokeping/.   (web files & graphs)

  /var/lib/smokeping  (data files)

I want to be able to run it without using the /cgi-bin/smokeping.cgi
syntax,

Just   //machine/smokeping

I tried several (many!) things; the closest (the alias) runs the program,
but it then fails to locate its data files and so I get blank screens. Other
permutations run it but don't recognize it as cgi, so list the text of
cmokeping.cgi, etc.

I'm not very familiar with the details of these apache options, and figure
this must be a FAQ. Any pointers or refs are appreciated.

##

#  broken!

##

# Alias /smokeping/ "/var/www/smokeping/"

# Alias /smokeping  "/usr/lib/cgi-bin/smokeping.cgi"

## ------------

RewriteEngine on

  RewriteRule  ^smokeping/.*$  cgi-bin/smokeping.cgi/$1

RewriteEngine off

<Directory "/var/www/smokeping">

    Allow from all

    Options -Indexes ExecCGI