[smokeping-users] Slave to have target but not Master?

G.W. Haywood ged at jubileegroup.co.uk
Thu May 28 18:28:15 CEST 2009

Hi there,

> Is there a way to have the smokeping slave (or slaves) monitor a
> target but not the master?

Seems a strange question.  Can you explain more about your situation?
You need the master, for example to parse the configuration files and
send the configurations to the slaves, and write to the .RRD files.

You can have different probes on master and slave, so I suppose one
way would be to change the probe binary in the master configuration,
replacing it with a dummy so that smokeping on the master doesn't know
that it isn't doing anything.  (I'm not sure that the web app. would
be happy with the results, I've had it spin my CPU at 100% when it's
found no data but I've hacked Smokeping quite a bit to get logarithmic
graphs that suit my purposes so that could easily be my fault.)  You
could even delete the probe binary on the master and replace it with a
link to a dummy binary that does nothing.  This is a horrible hack, as
then nobody would be able to use the probe even if they wanted to...

Why not just put the master on what is at the moment one of the slaves?
You could use rsync or something like that to keep the data up to date
on the Webserver (which wouldn't have to be on the master).

--

73,
Ged.