[smokeping-users] Multiple Databases?

Niko Tyni ntyni+smokeping-users at mappi.helsinki.fi
Thu May 28 20:43:58 CEST 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 10:24:05AM -0700, Jonah Horowitz wrote:

> I'm sorry, I think I could have been more clear in stating my issue.  I
> have two sets of hosts.  One I want to check at a step of 300, and one I
> want to check at a step of 60.  As far as I can tell from reading the
> documentation, there's only one definition allowed for "Database".  I
> found out (through trying it) that if you override the step in the Probe
> definition, it just overrides the database step.  This is _not_obvious_
> from the documentation.  It's also sub-optimal since if I set up my
> database to maintain 5 years of data for the "step 60" hosts, I'm
> maintaining 25 years of data for the "step 300" hosts.

Just to make sure you found all the documentation, the relevant
part of the configuration reference is at

 http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/doc/smokeping_config.en.html#I____Database______mandatory_section_

While I do understand the problem, I think it would be much more
surprising if overriding the step would also change the number of rows
in the database so that the total time would stay constant.

> My question was, is there any way to define two different database
> definitions - probably the obvious place to do this would be in the
> Probe definition.  It appears the answer is "no".

Right. Only the 'step' and 'pings' variables can currently be overridden.

I think it would not be very hard to implement overridable RRAs,
but the need seems to be quite rare (as in "you're the first one
to request it"). I'd just go for separate daemons.
--
Niko