[smokeping-users] Can't get TCPPing to work with multiple targets (Smokeping 2.004002)

Mark Dawson Mark.Dawson at imc-chicago.com
Mon Nov 9 19:43:55 CET 2009

Thanks for the feedback.  I actually got it going by changing the syntax of
the configuration.  I simply took the 'probe =' line out of the top level
portion where I specify 'slave =', and put it at the level of the actual
target definitions.  Then it started working.  Odd. . .

On 11/7/09 5:26 AM, "G.W. Haywood" <ged at jubileegroup.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> On Fri, 6 Nov 2009, Mark Dawson wrote:
>
>> Hasn't anyone been successful in getting multiple targets working with
>> the TCPPing probe?  Your help in this would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I see no response to you so far so I'll chime in with what little help
> I can, just to keep you from tearing out more hair. :)
>
> I'm using multiple TCPPing targets, but apparently I'm not as fussy as
> you are about the configuration files.  Perhaps I haven't run into the
> issue you describe because I haven't done what you're trying to do.
>
> However, it seems to me that you might learn more by running smokeping
> in debug mode on the master than you will learn by running it that way
> on the slaves.  You might also want to check what .rrd files are being
> created on the master.  I did a very cursory skim through the code to
> see if I could see anything obvious that would explain what you see,
> but I'm not using the same versions of things that you are so it would
> be pointless my spending a lot of time doing that.  Nothing jumped out
> and bit me, but I did wonder if you have the TCPPing.pm and FPing.pm
> modules in the same directory, or perhaps more than one of them that
> might be found, say from an old installation.
>
> My guess is that this is either (1) a misunderstanding about how the
> configuration works (unlikely, since you've apparently done what you
> want using the FPing probe but not using TCPPing), (2) an installation
> problem (easily messed up if you've used both packages and tarballs
> for example), or (3) a bug in the Smokeping.pm or TCPPing.pm modules
> (plausible, if you've read the code:).  If you need any help debugging
> I'll be glad to lend a hand (two complete sets of configuration files
> exactly as you're using them and detailed version information would be
> a good start) but check the debug output on the master first.  I'm not
> one of the smokeping developers, but I've hacked the code a little for
> my own purposes.  Most of the time I'm only monitoring a couple of
> dozen machines, there are people around here running several thousand.
>
> --
>
> 73,
> Ged.

The information in this e-mail is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed.

It may contain confidential and /or privileged material.  If someone other than the intended recipient should receive this e-mail, he / she shall not be entitled to read, disseminate, disclose or duplicate it.

If you receive this e-mail unintentionally, please inform us immediately by "reply" and then delete it from your system. Although this information has been compiled with great care, neither IMC Financial Markets & Asset Management nor any of its related entities shall accept any responsibility for any errors, omissions or other inaccuracies in this information or for the consequences thereof, nor shall it be bound in any way by the contents of this e-mail or its attachments.  In the event of incomplete or incorrect transmission, please return the e-mail to the sender and permanently delete this message and any attachments.

Messages and attachments are scanned for all known viruses. Always scan attachments before opening them.