[smokeping-users] SmokeTrace 2.0

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Wed Nov 25 06:55:42 CET 2009

Hi Josh,

Yesterday Josh Luthman wrote:

> That's even better then what I had thought!
>
> For something like this I would want it on a Linux server, but I am sure
> other people would have other opinions (Windows, Mac, BSD, etc).  I've not
> paid enough attention when using the different traceroute utilities to even
> notice they were different.
>
> Will you be releasing both plugins with one SmokeTrace archive?

I am not yet entirely clear about how to go with the distribution.
I will certinly release all bits of it. I think there ought to be
some sort of configuration mechanism where you can define which
plugins should go in and possibly even configure the plugins
themselfs. At the moment this is still done by adding the perl
modules to the jsonrpc service module on the server side

> Not sure if this is supposed to be this way or not - but it thinks there are
> non-responsive hosts between hosts (in my case the destination - 4.2.2.2) it
> ends up with repeated lines with 4.2.2.2 (8, 17 and 24 with non-responsive
> hosts between the three).

this is just what tracroute tells ... the knack here is that at the
moment the frontend has no way of dealing with alternate routes ...
try tracerouting google to see what I mean ... you can just see the
latest trace and no 'trace' of the previous one which went to
different destinations.