[smokeping-users] Puzzling smokeping results

Julie rhayden at rogers.com
Thu Sep 3 16:32:58 CEST 2009

Question , I have a 10mbps LAN circuit  using Omnitron media converters
bridging a 120km fibre optic link and when I  ping from laptop to laptop /
64byte/ continuous ping  for 20 minutes I get a 2ms average. When using
smokeping we get a 5.3ms average but with highs of 8ms and lows of 2ms. Any
idea as to why the difference. We use Smokeping on shorter hops (60km) and
we get a 1-2ms average on both the Smokeping and the laptop to laptop test.