[smokeping-users] questions

Peter Kristolaitis alter3d at alter3d.ca
Thu Apr 29 17:54:08 CEST 2010

Hi Daley;

See answers inline...

On 4/29/2010 8:35 AM, Daley, Okuwa wrote:

> Please can you help me with your tool
>
> I am looking for a tool
>
> My questions
>
> How many devices can it ping as a maximum at a time

There's no hardcoded limit;  the main limiting factors will be the
granularity you want (i.e. the number of pings you send to each host
during each poll cycle), your polling interval, processing power, disk
IO capacity and network bandwidth.

You can also use a master/slave configuration to spread out the load.

> What is the polling interval

It's completely configurable.  You decide what you want it to be,
keeping in mind factors the factors above.

> How long can the historical data save up to

It's completely configurable.  The sample configuration stores data for
(IIRC) 400 days, but I've set up SmokePing instances that store several
years worth of data.

> Can it also do some real time stuff

It would help to know exactly what you mean here.  'Real time' means
different things, depending on which salesperson you've been talking
to.   :)      At its core, SmokePing works on the concept of polling
cycles, so typically things like alerts, etc, will work at whatever
granularity your polling cycle uses.

You *could* set a very short polling time, with only 1 or 2 pings per
cycle, if all you want is things like alerts... but then you don't get
all the other stats (loss %, range, std. dev., etc) that make SmokePing
such a phenomenally useful tool.

> Can it integrate with other tools like openview

AFAIK, there is no "out of the box" integration.  However, depending on
what exactly you're wanting to do, it might be possible to write your
own scripts to do it.   SmokePing can run a script instead of sending
emails when an alert happens, so you might be able to get some
integration that way.