[smokeping-users] Using Smokeping to measure DHCP latency

Peter Kristolaitis alter3d at alter3d.ca
Thu Aug 26 22:40:12 CEST 2010

  Hi Rob;

If you're referring to this page:

http://smokeping.ucdavis.edu/smoke/cgi-bin/smokeping.cgi?target=Campus.Campus_services.Campus_MISC.Campus_DHCP-PING

then I would question what, exactly, it is that UC Davis is measuring,
and how that compares to what you want to measure.    That target on the
UC Davis page is labeled "DHCP Server PING" -- to me, that would suggest
that they're doing a simple ICMP PING to the DHCP host, rather than
testing the response time of the DHCP service itself.

I'm not aware of any way to measure DHCP service latency with Smokeping,
or even any plugins to do so.  It would probably be possible to write a
Smokeping module for it though -- one approach that comes to mind is to
execute dhcping against the DHCP server and time the execution (since
dhcping basically just reports a yes/no status).

- Peter