[smokeping-users] The Smoke

Thomas Klein smokeping at thomas-klein.de
Thu Feb 11 12:50:19 CET 2010

Hello,

is there a more detailed explanation available how SmokePing does draw
the smoke into the graphs?
I have looked into "Reading the Graphs" from the documentation, but miss
some details:

For every round of measurement smokeping sends several packets. It then
sorts the different round trip times and selects the median, (ie. the
middle one). This means when there are 10 time values, value number 5 is
selected and drawn. The other values are drawn as successively lighter
shades of gray in the background (smoke).

How can i find out what the smoke will look for such example values
where the median will be always 5?

Nr. 	Val1 	Val2 	Val3 	Val4 	Val5
1 	1 	1 	5 	4 	1
2 	2 	2 	5 	5 	1
3 	3 	5 	5 	5 	1
4 	4 	5 	5 	5 	1
5 	5 	5 	5 	5 	5
6 	6 	5 	5 	5 	5
7 	7 	5 	5 	9 	5
8 	8 	5 	5 	9 	5
9 	9 	5 	9 	9 	5
10 	10 	5 	10 	9 	5

I have noted that my latency measurements tend to have more smoke above
the median measurement than below and wonder what this does mean and how
to interprete the graphs.

Greetings,
Thomas