[smokeping-users] Optimizing Smokeping - how many tasks can I run

Peter Kristolaitis alter3d at alter3d.ca
Fri Jul 9 16:57:59 CEST 2010

FPing sends out its requests in parallel (more or less, it's actually a
multi-threaded round-robin model).  The way it will work with your
config is that SmokePing will invoke FPing once every 120 seconds with
all 528 targets, and FPing will poll the hosts in parallel.   If the
FPing process doesn't complete and return a result set within 120
seconds, SmokePing will kill it, issue the warning you're seeing, and
then start the next poll cycle.

There is no hard-and-fast rule to determining the maximum number of
targets for any given steps and pings setting; it largely depends on the
typical network conditions for your site(s);  if you expect a lot of
hosts to respond slowly or not at all on a frequent basis, you might
need to lower pings or increase steps.

The other option is to implement multiple probe instances -- you can
configure SmokePing to use multiple FPing probe 'groups', and configure
different groups of hosts to use different probes (e.g. probe A will
handle hosts 0-99;  probe B will handle hosts 100-199; etc).   SmokePing
will kick off one FPing process for each probe instance, but with the
same pings and steps -- so instead of waiting for 500+ hosts to respond
to 10 pings in 120 seconds, you're only waiting for 100 hosts.  If one
probe group exceeds the time limit, you'll still get results for the
other ones.

Unfortunately, the settings that will work best with your site are
largely a function of experience and tuning;  over time you'll tweak the
settings to be appropriate to your site.    As a first step, I recommend
investigating the multiple-probe option, as it doesn't require changes
to your RRD files.   Check the SmokePing docs for information on how to
set up multiple probes.

- Peter