[smokeping-users] Smokeping Newbee

Peter Kristolaitis alter3d at alter3d.ca
Tue Jun 15 01:28:13 CEST 2010

Hi Alan;

Yes, you can call external scripts by setting the "to" field of the
alert to "| /path/to/script.sh" (note the pipe character at the
beginning).  Some information about the alert will be passed on as
arguments to the script.  From the SmokePing documentation:

*to* /(mandatory setting)/

    Either an email address to send alerts to, or the name of a program
    to execute when an alert matches. To call a program, the first
    character of the *to* value must be a pipe symbol "|". The program
    will the be called whenever an alert matches, using the following 5
    arguments (except if *edgetrigger* is 'yes'; see below):
    *name-of-alert*, *target*, *loss-pattern*, *rtt-pattern*,
    *hostname*. You can also provide a comma separated list of addresses
    and programs.

Cheers,
- Peter