[smokeping-users] Re-arranging menus, files

Sorrell, Al Al_Sorrell at troweprice.com
Mon Nov 1 16:08:33 CET 2010

I think what I want to do is straight-forward, but I haven't seen it discussed so though I'd throw it out just in case there are some hidden issues. I want to rearrange my menus because of organizational changes. I think this can be accomplished by stopping Smokeping, changing the config info for the affected items, mv'ing (renaming) the appropriate files and/or directories and restarting Smokeping. Here's an example of what I want to do

OldMenu         OldConfig                                               Old File
TopLevel                + TopLevel -> menu=TopLevel                     $SMOKEPING_DATA/TopLevel
-       Entry1       ++ Entry1  -> menu=Entry1                  $SMOKEPING_DATA/TopLevel/Entry1
--   Target1    +++ Target1-> menu=Target1,host=...             $SMOKEPING_DATA/TopLevel/Entry1/Target1.rrd
-       Entry2       ++ Entry2  -> menu=Entry2                  $SMOKEPING_DATA/TopLevel/Entry2

NewMenu         NewConfig                                               New File
NewTop          + NewTop  -> menu=TopLevel                      $SMOKEPING_DATA/NewTop
-       EntryA       ++ EntryA  -> menu=EntryA                  $SMOKEPING_DATA/NewTop/EntryA
--   TargetB    +++ TargetB-> menu=TargetB,host=...             $SMOKEPING_DATA/NewTop/EntryA/TargetB.rrd
-       Entry2       ++ Entry2  -> menu=Entry2                  $SMOKEPING_DATA/NewTop/Entry2

Steps:
1)      Stop Smokeping
2)      cd $SMOKEPING_DATA/TopLevel/Entry1; mv Target1.rrd TargetB.rrd
3)      cd $SMOKEPING_DATA/TopLevel; mv Entry1 EntryA
4)      cd $SMOKEPING_DATA; mv TopLevel NewTop
5)      edit $SMOKEPING/etc/configs to reflect locations as above
6)      double check all of the above! ;-)
7)      re-start $SMOKEPING

Anyone see any gotcha's in the above?

Thanks,
Al

Almon (Al) Sorrell
Corporate Network Services | Network Engineering Consultant
T. Rowe Price
4515 Painters Mill Road, TE9008
Owings Mills, MD 21117
Phone: 410-345-3042 (508-3042)  Fax:410-345-3135
Email: Al_Sorrell at troweprice.com

T. Rowe Price (including T. Rowe Price Group, Inc. and its affiliates) and its associates do not provide legal or tax advice.  Any tax-related discussion contained in this e-mail, including any attachments, is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to any other party any transaction or matter addressed herein.  Please consult your independent legal counsel and/or professional tax advisor regarding any legal or tax issues raised in this e-mail.

The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the named addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. Any unauthorized use, copying, disclosure, or distribution of the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited by the sender and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail.