[smokeping-users] best test to use?

G.W. Haywood ged at jubileegroup.co.uk
Fri Nov 5 09:15:41 CET 2010

Hi there,

On Fri, 5 Nov 2010, Adam Hardy wrote:

> I have a problem with some software running on a windows machine on the LAN
> where the company who wrote the sofware say that there must be something wrong
> with my internet connection, but can't help any further.

Sounds to me like they don't know something that they ought to know.
Can you tell us more about this software and the problem?

> I'd like to know what tests I can run to verify that my config and
> my firewall are OK, especially regarding PMTU.

Have you got a firewall in addition to the Lenny box?

> I tried running without my firewall but it makes no difference ...

Hmmmm.  Probably not the firewall then. :)

> ... so maybe it's
> something else out there with my ISP before it hits the public net.
>
> What can I do with ping?

Er, you can ping things, but not a lot more.

> This ping command gives suspicious results:
>
>   ping -s 1473 mktgw1.ibllc.com
>
> One byte less and it works.

That sounds normal.  Does this help?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_transmission_unit

> I'd massively appreciate any help with this! I'm stuck with either my own
> mistake, or until I can prove I haven't made one.

Why not get Wireshark running and take a look at the traffic in all
its gory detail?  I'm not sure yet that you've made any mistake.

--

73,
Ged.