[smokeping-users] best test to use?

Adam Hardy adam.ant at cyberspaceroad.com
Tue Nov 9 11:25:33 CET 2010

G.W. Haywood on 08/11/10 14:11, wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Nov 2010, Adam Hardy wrote:
>> Can I set up probes in smokeping to monitor this?
>
> You can use probes which will send packets using the ports used by
> your application.

This is what their docs say about ports: "IB accepts connections on port 4000
from inbound traffic from ports 1024 or higher. This is required for connection
to our servers. If you are using a firewall, these ports will need to be
provided for within its configuration."

I interpreted this to mean that my iptables rules will be ok if I allow
everything outbound from the gateway, and allow all inbound packets on
established connections through.

If I use port 4000 for probing the connection to the IB broker, using ping, I
don't think it's going to provide much info - is that what you're telling me?