[smokeping-users] Smokeping Graphs not being drawn correctly

Darren Murphy darren at victoriajd.com
Tue Apr 26 06:55:08 CEST 2011

Hello David,

On 26 April 2011 02:51, David Thompson <David.Thompson at vintalk.com> wrote:

> My graphs aren’t being drawn correctly all I am getting on all of my graphs is a broken line. Please see the following link.
>

> http://lethalnetworks.com/~reza/smokeping.bmp

This indicates that you have missing data, have you checked the smokeping log?
I notice from the graph that you are pinging your hosts every 60
seconds. If you are pinging many hosts, it may be that there is not
enough time to gather data for all hosts on each run.
If that's the case (and the log should indicate if it is), then there
are two things you could try:

a) Increase your sampling time
b) Run multiple concurrent FPing probes (see the 'concurrentprobes'
section of http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/doc/smokeping_config.en.html)

For what it's worth, I have a distributed (master-multiple-slave)
implementation that probes approximately 1200 hosts at 5 minute
intervals, and I've found that one probe for every 50 hosts seems to
work quite well.

Hope this helps,
Darren