[smokeping-users] Large deployment problems

Peter Kristolaitis alter3d at alter3d.ca
Wed Aug 3 05:04:08 CEST 2011

1)  I assume that you've checked for a speedycgi package in your
distro's repositories first?   Speedy is pretty common (though obviously
outdated) and most distros should have a pre-patched, pre-compiled
binary available.   If not, search through the archives for this list --
someone JUST submitted a patchset to use FastCGI instead of Speedy
(seriously, I think it was the post before yours on the list!).

2)  Absolutely, you can run multiple probes in parallel.   The
documentation available at smokeping.org covers this, and there have
been many threads on this list about that topic.   Consider also
changing your 'step' and 'pings' values to meet your requirements --
you're essentially balancing granularity vs performance.   It can take a
bit of guesswork and futzing with numbers to get something that works
for you.

3)  I don't see a problem scaling to 5600+ nodes with Smokeping if it's
configured properly (there's the rub, of course).  I honestly don't know
of any other F/OSS software that does the same thing that Smokeping
does, unfortunately (though IIRC, someone did write a "Smokeping-like"
module for Cacti a few years ago.... maybe check cactiusers.org (again
IIRC) if you're interested in this option).