[smokeping-users] Question about Database Config.

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Thu Dec 8 01:40:56 CET 2011

Provided I understand these configs right, you've got:

BC> AVERAGE  0.5   1  5040  #1008
5040 minutes of 1 min resolution data. (i.e. 84 hours or 3.5 days)

BC> AVERAGE  0.5  12  21600 #4320
BC>     MIN  0.5  12  21600 #4320
BC>     MAX  0.5  12  21600 #4320

Then the next set is 12 minute steps, and you've got 180 days of 12min
data.

[These compress the prior 1 min steps by a factor or 1:12.
Again, provided I understand correctly. This seems excessive - I'd
probably keep 30 - 90 days of 12 min data. But I'm not sure what your
goals are - perhaps that 12 minute data is more important than I
realize. But I think I should catch most important stuff in 3 days,
and after 30 days, the data's not terribly important for higher
resolution needs.]

BC> AVERAGE  0.5 144   3600 #720
BC>     MAX  0.5 144   3600 #720
BC>     MIN  0.5 144   3600 #720
Then 360 days of 144 minute (~2.3 hr resolution) data.

---
Here's what I do:

I keep one minute data too, and I use
BC> AVERAGE  0.5   1  4320  #3 days, 60 sec resolution

BC> AVERAGE  0.5  10  4320 #30 days at 10 min resolution
BC>     MIN  0.5  10  4320 #
BC>     MAX  0.5  10  4320 #
[90 days might be better, but I don't often wish for more than 30-60
days]

BC> AVERAGE  0.5 144   2400 #400 days at 2 hr resolution
BC>     MAX  0.5 144   2400 #
BC>     MIN  0.5 144   2400 #

IIRC, this results in about 8.5MB rrd files for each monitored device.
This seems like a pretty reasonable file size for me.

I just calculated it, and this appears to use roughly 0.77 KB per row of
data. [~770KB per 1000 RRD rows or ~1300 rows/MB.]

HTH

-Greg