[smokeping-users] Question about Database Config.

Brian Chamberlain brian at iptelecom.ie
Thu Dec 8 21:39:28 CET 2011

On 8 Dec 2011, at 00:40, Gregory Sloop wrote:

> Provided I understand these configs right, you've got:
>
> BC> AVERAGE  0.5   1  5040  #1008
> 5040 minutes of 1 min resolution data. (i.e. 84 hours or 3.5 days)
>
> BC> AVERAGE  0.5  12  21600 #4320
> BC>     MIN  0.5  12  21600 #4320
> BC>     MAX  0.5  12  21600 #4320
>
> Then the next set is 12 minute steps, and you've got 180 days of 12min
> data.
>
> [These compress the prior 1 min steps by a factor or 1:12.
> Again, provided I understand correctly. This seems excessive - I'd
> probably keep 30 - 90 days of 12 min data. But I'm not sure what your
> goals are - perhaps that 12 minute data is more important than I
> realize. But I think I should catch most important stuff in 3 days,
> and after 30 days, the data's not terribly important for higher
> resolution needs.]
>
> BC> AVERAGE  0.5 144   3600 #720
> BC>     MAX  0.5 144   3600 #720
> BC>     MIN  0.5 144   3600 #720
> Then 360 days of 144 minute (~2.3 hr resolution) data.
>
> ---
> Here's what I do:
>
> I keep one minute data too, and I use
> BC> AVERAGE  0.5   1  4320  #3 days, 60 sec resolution
>
> BC> AVERAGE  0.5  10  4320 #30 days at 10 min resolution
> BC>     MIN  0.5  10  4320 #
> BC>     MAX  0.5  10  4320 #
> [90 days might be better, but I don't often wish for more than 30-60
> days]
>
> BC> AVERAGE  0.5 144   2400 #400 days at 2 hr resolution
> BC>     MAX  0.5 144   2400 #
> BC>     MIN  0.5 144   2400 #
>
> IIRC, this results in about 8.5MB rrd files for each monitored device.
> This seems like a pretty reasonable file size for me.
>
> I just calculated it, and this appears to use roughly 0.77 KB per row of
> data. [~770KB per 1000 RRD rows or ~1300 rows/MB.]
>
> HTH
>
> -Greg

Hi Greg,

Many thanks for this excellent reply. I can't find documentation that answers this question:

If I adjust:

*** Database ***

step     = 60
pings    = 20

to different values do I have to adjust the

# consfn mrhb steps total

lines in step with the adjustments made to the step and pings?

Thanks
Brian