[smokeping-users] Non-polling master and slaves

G.W. Haywood ged at jubileegroup.co.uk
Mon Nov 14 12:38:27 CET 2011

Hi there,

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011, Simon Liang wrote:

> How would I go about creating a master server purely for graphing
> the data and centralising the configuration files, while slave nodes
> are used to retrieve the data?

I don't know if you can do exactly that, but you can probably use the
master to ping just one node and ignore the results.  The reason I say
this is that I've had problems with the Smokeping/Apache CGI spinning
at 100% CPU when it can't find some master data to graph.  This would
happen when trying to produce the full page of graphs for one node, it
would be fine on showing the synopsis for several nodes.  I don't know
if I've just been careless, or unlucky, or if it's, er, a feature, but
it's happened more than once on different installations.

If I'd had the time to investigate I'd have spent some time creating a
test setup to repeat it, but in each case I've been more concerned
about getting the monitoring up and running than with debugging the
tools so I simply fixed it.  If anyone wants to try it, I'd suggest
pointing the CGI scripts to the wrong directory for the collected data
or something like that.

--

73,
Ged.