[smokeping-users] smokeping styled graphs from command line

Tom Throckmorton throck+smokeping at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 03:33:17 CET 2011

On 11/24/11 2:28 PM, Rodney Machado wrote:
> Hi Darren,
>
> Thanks for you answer, I'm very familiar in generating rrd graphs
> (atached a sample), but I'm having hard time creating the same look
> and feel of graphs that smokeping can generate, I'm taking about the
> smoke in particular. I got the rrd files from my smokeping
> installation, but after many tries and retries I'm about to give up.
>
> So, I'm wondering if someone knows the right syntax for generating
> that same look from the command line.

Hello Rodney;

I've found (by accident) that you can trick smokeping.cgi into dumping
the graph invocation by passing it an incorrect slave parameter, e.g. on
the demo site, hitting this URL:

http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping-demo/?target=Customers.OP.johan~otoro

...will throw an error that includes the all of the RRDs::graph commands
that would have been used to generate the images.  I'm not sure offhand
how compatible the syntax is with rrdgraph directly, but it should give
you a general idea of what's happening under the hood.

I'm curious as to why you want to create the graphs manually; are you
aware that you can generate the graphs on the command line by invoking
smokeping in static mode (using --static, naturally)?

-tt